Sunday, April 13, 2008

Now THAT was cool

Wow. What a cool day. Yesterday I did something I never thought I would do.

A good friend of mine asked me a couple weeks ago if I would speak at his wedding yesterday. He had experienced a really rough few years and in the past six months met an incredible woman. They fit incredibly well and are very focused on how they can serve God together. I have rarely seen a couple fit so well. So, I said sure, I can say something.

Then came the shocker a couple days later when he sent me an email outlining his thoughts. He didn't just want me to speak, he wanted me to officiate. I was to marry them. To say I was surprised was an understatement. It had never occurred to me that I would be given that kind of an opportunity or that I would be viewed as someone who could do so. After spending some time praying about it, I agreed to do it.

Well, the wedding was yesterday. It was an intimate event with about 25 people there and everything went very well. I was never nervous at all and when speaking with the bride afterwards, she said my voice had been very calming and confident and she really appreciated what I had done. Another friend of mine, who was also at the wedding, said he wasn't surprised to see me do it. It felt surprisingly natural to do something that two or three years ago I would never have had the nerve to do and I am thankful for both getting the opportunity and for having the nerve to say yes.

It was a great experience and it stretched me which was good. I'm starting to realize that sometimes something out of the ordinary is just what we need to get us moving. The past week or so has seen a turn-around for me on many levels and this wedding was another step in that process.

As I said at the start, wow, what a cool day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home